Installing Blue on Linux Mint

I would like to try Blue on my computer. I have:
Csound version 6.10 (double samples) 2018-01-27
CsoundQt-0.9.8.2-x86_64+Csound-6.14.0.AppImage
Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia

Now on the download page for Blue it says:

“You will also need to install a 64-bit Java 11+ JDK (Java Developer Kit) to run Blue. The recommended version is Java 11 from AdoptOpenJDK.”

But the most recent Java-JDK I can get from my Linux Mint repositories is: 8.0.6.5-0ubuntu1

So what do I do next?

I have now downloaded and extracted OpenJDK11U-jdk_x64_linux_hotspot_11.0.13_8

Is that enough to use Blue?

That should be enough, though the version of Csound is a bit old. I think @tjingboem uses Linux Mint and may have better advice.

1 Like

Hi Prutser,
i use Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon and at the moment, i seem to have installed openjdk15

I did use AdoptOpenJDK before this one, that worked for me as well.

With openjdk15, Blue just works.

(Thing with Linux Mint is that the Fluid opcodes do not work as the version available for the Mint system has some dependencies that do not allow updating Fluid so the fluid opcodes would work. …)
(btw, funny nickname you have if i read it in dutch)

1 Like

Thanks. I see the Blue GUI now. Is there a manual in pdf so I can systematically explore the program?

And yes - I’m from the Netherlands. I often use Dutch nicknames, as most of them are still free.

To test to see if you have a JVM installed and what version, at a command prompt type “java -version”. If you see something along the lines of “command not found” then you need to install a Java Virtual Machine.

I have installed OpenJDK but when typing “java-version” at the command prompt I still get: “java-version: command not found”

You need a space after java and before -version

1 Like

Thank you very much! Now I get:

openjdk version “11.0.11” 2021-04-20
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.18.04)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.11+9-Ubuntu-0ubuntu2.18.04, mixed mode, sharing)

Is this OK?

Another thing, when I open Blue inside the terminal I get this warning:

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory (file:/home/bart/SomeProgs/Blue/blue/platform/lib/boot.jar) to field java.net.URL.handler
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
[blue] - initialization program root directory: /home/bart/SomeProgs/Blue/blue/bin
user configuration directory: /home/bart/.blue
loading classes from registry

yes i always run Blue from terminal, and get the same. It is not a problem.

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory (file:/home/menno/blue/platform/lib/boot.jar) to field java.net.URL.handler
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.netbeans.ProxyURLStreamHandlerFactory
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
[blue] - initialization

program root directory: /home/menno
user configuration directory: /home/menno/.blue

loading classes from registry

All kinds of information on the program can be found here: blue - a music composition environment for Csound

good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! Then I will now try to run some examples in Blue.

Some example pieces by brianWong run on my computer in Blue but others don’t. For instance falltan.blue plays, but Pythongorean wanderers.blue doesn’t and gives “csound command: segmentation fault”. Has this something to do with the Fluid opcodes?

Tried some more: but now as soon as I try to run an example in Blue it simply crashes.

i just tried falltan.blue- works.
then tried Pythongorean wanderers.blue- failed but got it to work easily by changing sr and ksmps
Screenshot from 2021-11-11 18-54-47

can you try and adjust these settings to your needs and try again?

Also: perhaps this veideo might help : First Steps in Blue | Blue - YouTube

1 Like

A good video! Is it yours? But my problem remains. Whenever I try to run something Blue immediately crashes. I fear that I have ruined my settings completely now. Is there a way in Blue to restore all the default settings? These are my current settings for JACK:

…while we are comparing screenshots…

i’ve read somewhere that these settings are the most stable.
Not so much the Buffer Size, but Sample Rate versus Buffer Size
48000÷128 = 375
or
48000÷64 = 750
so whole numbers.

Is this what you propose?

Changed the settings but still Blue crashes as soon as I try to run anything. Then I reinstalled Blue. But still the same problem. I think that it has to do with dependencies in my Linux Mint version. I also had problems recently with using CsoundQt, but those disappeared after I switched over to the CsoundQt AppImage. It would be nice to also have an AppImage for Blue. That would probably also work on Linux Mint without a problem.

Perhaps a silly remark, but did you set the realtime settings in Blue to 48kHz/64 ksmps as well?

Try this one:

NOIZZ.blue.zip (2.8 KB)

a very simple instrument

I tried NOIZZ.blue in Blue with these settings:

The file opens, but when I try to run it Blue immediately crashes.

You should choose Jack as your Audio driver.
My settings :slight_smile:

in your case, i recommend that it is better, for the moment, to not set a Midi driver. But keep it simple just to get things going…