Stria by John Chowning doesn't play in CsoundQt

I’m trying to play the Music Example Stria by John Chowning in CsoundQt but all I get are the following errors:

rtaudio: PortAudio module enabled ... 
using blocking interface
error:  Variable '__synthetic_300' used before defined
Line -1
error:  Variable type for __synthetic_300 couldn't be determined.
Parsing failed due to syntax errors
Stopping on parser failure
can't compile orchestra

Before that I played TRAPPED IN CONVERT by Richard Boulanger in CsoundQt and that piece did work OK.

What could the problem be?

Thanks for the report!

No problem here…
Which version of CsoundQt, Csound do you use? What is your platform? Does it work when you press “Run in Terminal”?

greetings,
tarmo

Kontakt Prutser via The Csound Community (<noreply@forum.csound.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval T, 19. oktoober 2021 kell 21:24:

Hello,

I have:
CsoundQt Version 0.9.4
Csound version 6.10 (double samples) 2018-01-27
Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia

And “Run in Terminal” gives:

Could not run terminal program:
Check environment tab in preferences.

this is a very strange error message: variable ‘__synthetic_300’ in
line -1 …

can you try to download from here and to play it:

i think his should work. by any reason, your csd file with stria seems
to be corrupted.

joachim

I don’t know how to download the file from GitHub so I copied and pasted it, but that gives the same error as before.

Could not run terminal program:
   /usr/bin/xterm
Check environment tab in preferences.

This happens when I try to run Boulanger-Trapped-in-Convert in terminal. What precisely do I have to do to make it possible to run Boulanger in terminal in CsoundQt?

Hi!

Please always tell first - your platform, Csound version, CsoundQt version + more information that may help to understand your issue.

That’s still the same as before:

Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Csound version 6.10 (double samples) 2018-01-27
CsoundQt Version 0.9.4

Oh,

I apologize, my bad, did not notice that post.

Your installation is pretty old.
You could try to download an unofficial AppImage (an application bundle), that includes both Csound and CsoundQt:
https://tarmo.uuu.ee/varia/failid/cs/CsoundQt/CsoundQt-0.9.8.2-x86_64%2BCsound-6.14.0.AppImage
Make it executable (chmod +x ) and try to start that,

And there must be some terminal emulator on your system, if you set that in the preferences, it should work.

Hope it helps you forward!
tarmo

Kontakt Prutser via The Csound Community (<noreply@forum.csound.com>) kirjutas kuupäeval K, 20. oktoober 2021 kell 16:21:

Thank you very much! This is already working much better. I still have some questions, but from here on I will use the AppImage and I will start some new topics for those further questions.