New Video Tutorial

Hi all,

i just uploaded a new Video Tutorial:
The External Scores in Blue tutorial shows how algorithmic scores are generated in Blue, in particular how this is done using 3rd party score generating programs (programs that are not part of Blue).

Blue is an Integrated Music Environment, powered by Csound. Developer of Blue is Steven Yi. This program can be downloaded at https://blue.kunstmusik.com/

Contents:

Voice Over: Mieke Bába

Editor: Icu Knevel

Director: Menno Knevel (http://www.geluidsmanvanhetnoorden.nl/)

2 Likes

Hi,

This video was great and got me interested in AthenaCL again. Years ago, I used it in the Terminal quite a bit. A very powerful algorithmic score generator. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to work in Blue. I point the GUI to where I have Stephen’s script and the “Test” button returns a blank window. No errors in the Csound output. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jair-Rohm

i cannot get it to work either.
Also the AthenaCL examples in blue/examples/soundObjects do not produce notes.

I have to look into this more…

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Please keep us posted on your progress with this.

i now got the note events back how i want them to.

I recently updated to Linux Mint 21, and a new version of Python was installed: python 3.10
While i had athenaPipe.py and AthenaCL installed in the older python version 3.8.

So i simply copied AthenaCL and athenaPipe.py over to python 3.10. And that works!

My command to AthenaCL in Blue is:

python /usr/local/lib/python3.10/dist-packages/athenaCL/athenaPipe.py $infile

Great, I’ll try that. Thanks!

If I understand correctly, the problem was that you were using the wrong version of Python?

i have AthenaCL including athenaPipe.py installed in python 3.8.
I would suspect that a newer version of python3 would detect the dist-packages of older-but-still-python3 versions
but it does not appear so…i am no expert in these matters.

The terminal:

menno@mennoASUSZ170 ~ $ python
Python 3.10.4 (main, Jun 29 2022, 12:14:53) [GCC 11.2.0] on linux

so python3.8 is not the active one anymore.

I’ve tried to follow your directions and I’m still not getting anything. I’m including a screen shot here. You can see that I’ve recreated your command line. Can you see what I may be doing wrong? Maybe @stevenyi can weigh in on this?

Thanks,

Jair-Rohm

This is interesting. I ran the command: python3 /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/athenaCL/athenaPipe.py $infile in a Terminal and got this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/athenaCL/athenaPipe.py”, line 3, in
from athenaCL.libATH import athenaObj
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘athenaCL.libATH’

This looks like it might be the problem?

Thanks,

Jair-Rohm